Recipe by babynewt
I have found that cheating and making the crumble topping in a food processor is not only less messy but makes a topping that is really light and melts in your mouth
- 100 g plain flour
- 100 g wholemeal flour
- 100 g butter
- 90 g soft brown sugar
- 500 g bramley apples, peeled and cored and cut into chunks
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 pinch mixed spice
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Put apple chunks in medium pie dish and sprinkle on water, caster sugar and mixed spice.
- Put flours, butter and soft brown sugar in food processor and whizz for 20 seconds until blended to consistency of small breadcrumbs (alternately rub together by hand).
- Sprinkle topping mixture over apples, spread it out and smooth it gently with the back of a fork.
- Place dish on a baking tray and bake at 180c, 350f or Gas 4 for 45-50 minutes.