Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is from the back of the Canada Cornstarch box - I've been making it for years. Four ingredients, and it comes out tasting and looking perfect each time. For fun I like to add coloured sugar sprinkles for the holidays! (P.S. I learned how to bake with this recipe, so that tells you how easy it is!)
- Sift together the cornstarch, icing (powdered) sugar and flour.
- Blend in butter until a soft smooth dough forms.
- Shape into 1" balls and chill 30 -60 minutes.
- Place 1 1/2" apart on a cookie sheet and flatten slightly with a floured fork. (omit if throwing sprinkles on, and/or don't like fork flattened shortbread - I don't and it still comes out just fine)
- Bake 300' for 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool. Watch that they don't brown, you want to pull them out while they still look a smidge underdone - the idea is that they do not brown on the bottom.
These are the EASIEST cookies to make and are incredibly addicting. With a little food coloring flavoring and creativity you can do some amazing things. Mix them up, and they make a great gift for friends and family.
I too have been making this particular shortbread recipe for years. It's a great, simple recipe and unlike some shortbread recipes....this one comes out tasting like real buttery shortbread. One tip.....sift everything for better texture.
I was looking for this recipe. It is the one my mom always used to make. I like the texture that using cornstarch adds.