Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I made this chili today at the last minute and just threw a bunch of stuff in a pot (like you do with chili) but I have to say (as did everyone else) that this is the best veggie chili I have ever had!!! So, enjoy! P.S. It is very important that you follow this as close as possible; flavors are key and don't worry; this is not too spicy. I think it is a perfect amount of spice!!!
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (6 ounce) canshunts tomato paste with basil garlic and oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with jalapenos (do NOT drain)
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 dark chocolate (i used high quality, 60% cocoa)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 5 large fresh basil leaves, minced
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (I used Sriracha)
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1⁄2-1 cup water (you'll have to thin to your liking but i intended this to be a thick-stew like chili)
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot.
- Simmer on low for 2 hours covered.
- Stir frequently to avoid bottom gunk.
- I serve mine with shredded sharp cheddar cheese, a small dollop of sour cream and saltine crackers or tortilla chips. If you are vegan you would leave out this step.