Recipe by Schooter
This is my husband's family recipe for holiday wassail bowl. It can be made in a saucepan or a crock pot. I prefer to make it in a crock pot since it's best served hot.
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 2 oranges
- 12 cups apple juice or 12 cups cider
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 6 cinnamon sticks
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Insert cloves, about one-half inch apart, into unpeeled oranges.
- Place in shallow baking pan and bake 30 minutes.
- Pierce oranges in several places with knife and set aside.
- To heat in a pan, combine juices, cinnamon sticks, and baked oranges in a large saucepan. Simmer, covered, on low heat for 30 minutes. Transfer to a punch bowl and allow oranges and cinnamon sticks to float in bowl. Serve hot.
- To heat in a crock pot, combine juices, cinnamon sticks, and baked oranges in a crock pot and heat on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours. Turn crock pot setting to low/warm to keep hot. Serve wassail out of crock pot and allow oranges and cinnamon sticks to float.