1/1 Photo of Peppy's Pita Bread
This is an ABM recipe I've had for years. I don't remember where I got it from, but it has always come out perfectly and has never let me down.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place all ingredients in bread pan, select Dough setting and start. When dough has risen long enough, machine will beep. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Gently roll and stretch dough into 12-inch rope.
- 2With a sharp knife, divide dough into 8 pieces. Roll each into a smooth ball. With a rolling pin, roll each ball into a 6 to 7-inch circle. Set aside on a lightly floured countertop; cover with a towel. Let pitas rise about 30 minutes until slightly puffy.
- 3Preheat oven to 500°F Place 2 or 3 pitas on a wire cake rack. Place cake rack directly on oven rack. Bake pitas 4 to 5 minutes until puffed and tops begin to brown. Remove from oven and immediately place pitas in a sealed brown paper bag or cover them with a damp kitchen towel until soft. Once pitas are softened, either cut in half or split top edge for half or whole pitas. They can be stored in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for several days or freezer for 1 or 2 months.
- 4Avoid using too much flour while rolling them out. Keep unrolled balls covered to prevent drying out.
- 5Handle with care while rolling and transferring. Tears or creases cause them not to puff up while baking.
- 6Avoid overbaking - they will turn crisp and brittle.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peppy's Pita Bread
Serving Size: 1 (84 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 191.1
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 293.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 5.1 g