Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I just found this recipe in Vegetarian Times magazine. Recently, I have become a fan of cornbread, especially with bean or lentil soup. This is a spicy version that is easy to prepare.
- 1 1⁄3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 2⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup diced bell pepper (any color)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheese
- Butter a 10-inch cast iron skillet or a round cake pan and place in oven. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, soda, and cayenne in a large bowl. Fold egg mixture (eggs and buttermilk lightly beaten) into cornmeal mixture until combined. Add bell pepper.
- Pour batter into hot skillet/pan and bake 10 minutes, sprinkle cheese over top and bake 5 more minutes, or until done (toothpick in center comes out clean).
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes. Serve cut in wedges or right out of the pan at the table.