Top Review by AmyMCGS
I used ground sausage instead of beef, and I didn't have any olives on hand so I added in some chopped tomatoes. It did taste like pizza, but nobody in my house was too impressed with it. (I'm not giving stars since I changed the main ingredient- that seems fair to me, as my impression could have been different if made as written!)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 ounces pepperoni, Chopped,1/3 C Abt
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs, Dry
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 8 ounces mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1⁄4 cup ripe olives, Pitted, Sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, Shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix the meats, bread crumbs, egg, oregano leaves, salt and half of the tomato sauce.
- Press the mixture evenly against the bottom and sides of an ungreased 10-inch pie pan.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms and olives in the meat line pan then pour the remaining tomato sauce over the vegetables.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
- The pepperoni gives a red-flecked appearance to the meat.
- Sprinkle the pie with the shredded cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes then cut into 6 wedges.
- NOTE: If a 10-inch pie pan is not available, use a 9-inch one but put a pan under it to catch the run off of juices.
- Also you can use an 8 oz can of cut green beans or whole kernel corn in place of the mushrooms if desired.