Prep 25 mins
Cook 13 mins
From BHG "Make Ahead Cooking".
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet; set aside. Combine flour, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cheese and pepper; mix well. Make a well in center of the dry mixture. Add milk all at once; stir until just moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Quickly knead dough 10 to 12 strokes until almost smooth. Divide dough in half. Roll or pat each half into a 6-inch square, about 1 inch thick. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 2-inch squares. Combine egg and 1 teaspoon water; brush tops of biscuits. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven 13 to 15 minutes or until golden on top. Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm. Makes 18 biscuits.
- For Make Ahead: Prepare and bake biscuits as directed; cool completely. Place biscuits in a freezer container or bag and freeze up to 3 months. To serve, wrap frozen biscuits in foil and bake in a 300 degree F oven about 20 to 25 minutes or until warm.
These are wonderful flakey biscuits. I served them with fish but can hardly wait to try them with sausage gravy. I am glad they freeze well and will be putting the leftovers in the freezer. Great recipe and directions are easy to follow.