Recipe by Geema
I confess to being turnip ignorant. It seems a shame to let a perfectly good vegetable go uneaten for lack of knowledge. Then I found this recipe in "Yamuna's Table", and I became a turnip convert. Try it and join me in having a new appreciation for this humble vegetable.
Top Review by CoolMonday
These were great. I'm not crazy about french fries so was happy to find this. I did toss the turnip pieces in the oil first and then in the spices. It seemed to me if i tried to brush on the oil it would brush off all the spices and cheese. It worked great. Thanks for a great recipe Geema.
- 4 medium turnips (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 -4 tablespoons freshly ground parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a large cookie sheet with olive oil.
- Pare the turnips and cut them into 2 1/2 x 1/2 inch sticks.
- Combine the spices, Parmesan and turnips in a large plastic bag.
- Seal and shake to coat.
- Spread the sticks in a single layer on the prepared pan and brush with a little olive oil.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, turning once, until spears are tender and golden.
- Serve with or without a sprinkling of lime.