Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
We have enjoyed these potatoes for many years. I will usually 1/2 the recipe for just our family and have also made this in the crockpot with great success. Adding some grated cheese changes the flavor nicely.
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (add more if you want more "bite")
- 5 cups potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- Combine soup, milk, salt and cayenne in bowl.
- Place 1/3 of potatoes and onions in a greased 9X13 baking dish.
- Layer with 1/3 of the butter, sprinkle 1/3 of the flour over and then 1/3 of the soup mixture.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
These potatoes were unbelievable! I loved them...so creamy and delicious. The instructions don't say when to add the flour and butter, so I just mixed it all in with the soup mixture and it turned out fine. One thing- I didn't find them particularly peppery, so if you're looking for a little fire, add extra cayenne. Thanks, I will definately make these again!
I usually make cheesy potatoes but thought I would try just plain scalloped. These were awesome! I did not use the onion and had to add more butter and milk towards the end of cooking time. Perfectly seasoned. A craveable potato recipe.
Not a spectacular recipe but I had everything I needed in the pantry so that counts for something. I had thought of adding cheese but decided against it. I wish I had. Nobody at the table raved about the recipe but everybody ate it without complaints. I will make again.