Recipe by Pepper #2
This is our new Christmas tradition. Adapted from a Beef, It's What's For Dinner recipe, this is flavorful and so tender.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian spices
- 1⁄2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 (6 -8 lb) beef rib roast
- 14 ounces beef broth
- 2 tablespoons thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine rub ingredients in a small bowl; reserve 2 tablespoons for au jus.
- Press rub into all parts of the rib roast.
- Place roast fat side up in a shallow baking dish. Do not cover or add water.
- Roast for 25 minutes, then lower oven temp to 350 for 2 hours for medium rare up to 3 hours medium doneness (until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the roast reaches 135 degrees for medium rare to 150 degrees for medium).
- Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes, tenting the roast with aluminum foil.
- Combine broth with reserved rub and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in thyme and simmer an additional 2 minutes.
- Carve roast into slices. Serve with au jus.