Recipe by sassafrasnanc
Peanuts and chilies are quite popular in South Africa and this is a wonderful combination of both! Spicy, rich and flavorful this is a very satisfying main dish soup. The recipe calls for cayenne peppers but any type of pepper is suitable (chipotles give a lovely smoky flavor). Posted for ZWT4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup celery, chopped (one rib)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 2⁄3 cups chicken stock or 1 2⁄3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter, smooth
- 2 fresh cayenne peppers, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts, roasted and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot, medium heat.
- Add green onions and celery and saute until soft, approx 8 minutes.
- Blend in flour (I always whisk flour into hot items) until roux is formed.
- Add stock and milk and heat stirring well until thickened (15 minutes or so).
- Reserving stock, strain vegetables and puree in food processor.
- Return pureed vegetables to stock.
- Reheat on low to medium low fire.
- Add peanut butter and whisk until well blended.
- Add chilies and lemon juice and heat over medium low fire until simmering (another 15 minutes).
- Add salt to taste and garnish with peanuts and chives.