Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Comes from the "Creative Chicken" cookbook by Jeni Wright
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken quarters
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 chili pepper
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 3 bell peppers
- ground black pepper
- Roast bell peppers. (you can simply sautee them, but roasting adds a unique quality).
- Thinly slice onion and finely chop garlic and hot pepper. Slice bell peppers into thin strips.
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole and brown the chicken on all sides.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic, and chili, cook gently for about 5 minutes- until softened.
- Add tomatoes and wine. Bring to boil.
- Return chicken to casserole, and add roasted bell pepper strips.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer 30-40 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnish with fresh shredded basil.