Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A cheesy, crisp little snacky for anytime.
Make and share this Peppery Cheddar Crisps recipe from Food.com.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cold
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup water, cold
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients.
- Cut in the butter until crumbly.
- Stir in cheese.
- Sprinkle with water and vinegar.
- Toss with a fork until a ball forms.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or until dough is firm.
- Divide into 6 portions.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of cough into an 8 inch circle.
- Cut into 8 wedges and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Lightly press into dough.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Store in an airtight container.
What a great snack! Love the cheddar flavor and the black pepper - perfect! I had to cook mine in 2 batches; in the first batch when I rolled the 8" circle my dough was thicker and the crisps were not as crispy (still tasted great tho!). The second batch I just rolled the dough as thin as I could and got wonderfully crispy crackers. Great snack with cocktails out on the deck - thanks for sharing the recipe!
Yummy, yummy, yummy crackers! They have a superb flavour and nice crisp, but not too crisp texture. Im munching on some right now and just cant stop. These are dangerous, Coffee, but great! ;) I made three rounds sprinkled with the black pepper as suggested and then 1 with paprika, 1 with curry powder and 1 with rosemary and parsley, which were also really good! I usually dont like black pepper, but these crackers are different. I luv them! Thanks so much for sharing this winner with us, Coffee! Made and reviewed for Everyday is a Holiday Tag Game May 09.
These are seriously good! I can understand what the other reviewers meant about them - they're so addictive! I'll definately make these again... I loved the decadence of the cheese with the zip of the cracked pepper. Thanks, CoffeeB! Made for Everyday is a Holiday Tag.