Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Enjoy as a snack or with fruit, cheese and wine for a light supper.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon anise seed
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- Bruise fennel and anise in mortar and pestle or with rolling pin.
- Mix with flour, sugar, baking powder, and pepper in large bowl.
- Make well in center, add water and oil.
- Gradually draw flour in until all in incorporated.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface until it forms a smooth ball.
- Cover with plastic and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Divide dough into 10 pieces.
- Roll each piece into an 8-inch ground.
- Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake until light brown- about 8 minutes, and cool.