Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a lower fat, less expensive version of my Mushroom Duxelle Mushroom Duxelle - My Way!. This also freezes so well that it is worth making large quanities...especially when any of the ingredients are on sale.
- 4 red peppers
- 2 yellow peppers
- 1 green pepper
- 2 red onions
- 2 white onions
- 25 medium button mushrooms
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Clean and cut all vegetables (remove stems from mushrooms) except garlic, into strips about 1/2-inch size. (this may seem like alot, but it cooks down).
- Using large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add only onions first. Cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Lower heat to simmer and continue to cook for 15 minutes or until starting to get golden color.
- Raise heat to medium-high, add peppers and salt, Stir well into onions. Continue to cook until peppers JUST START to get soft.
- Add mushrooms, combining well.
- Add black pepper, garlic, and pepper flakes.
- Stir well. Lower heat to simmer. DO NOT COVER as this will poach vegetables.
- Continue to simmer until mushrooms give off their juices but are still firm. It is important NOT to overcook as they will cook again when reheated to be used.
- Remove skillet from heat. Stir.
- Allow to cool. Peppers and mushrooms should still have body to them.
- I like to bag portions in plastic sandwich bags, spread out so they are flat in bag. This makes for easy storage once they are frozen. I then place several bags into a freezer storage bag.
- I have kept this mix frozen for over a year without change in flavor.
This is really excellent. I used it as the main item for dinner and put it over brown rice. My own adjustments were to omit the pepper flakes and at the very end I added some water with a veggie boullion cube along with a bit of cornstarch. It came out perfect! This one is a keeper and we will be seeing ot on our plates again.
I have cooked peppers and onions and mushrooms before but never put garlic or pepper flakes in them. I will try and I am sure it will be excellent. Thanks for posting.