Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
An Italian dish of banana and bell peppers in a tomato sauce. This sauce is great served with eggs in the morning, fried with Italian sausage, used in place of pizza sauce, or over linguini with shrimps,
- Seed and chop peppers to roughly 1" squares. Quarter the onion. Finely chop celery.
- Chop bacon every 1/2" and brown it well, it should just get crunchy. It will soften when added to peppers.
- Saute the sofrito of garlic, celery and salt in olive oil slowly over medium low heat a couple minutes. Careful not to burn garlic.
- Add onion and then peppers. Cook over medium heat until peppers slightly browned and just getting tender.
- Add bacon and grease, as well as tomatoes. Simmer until peppers are tender. Do not let it boil.