Recipe by Sharon123
A good brunch, lunch, or supper! Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant New Classic cookbook. New England, Australian, Mid West, West
Top Review by chiclet
This has become one of my favorite comfort-food dishes. The flavor combination is really great, and I love that everything goes in one skillet! It is also pretty flexible, which is one of my favorite characteristics in a recipe. I have used half sweet potatoes, different colors of peppers, made it with and without the mushrooms, and it worked out great each time. Thanks for posting, Sharon123!
- 4 -6 cups swiss chard, stemmed, sliced (or spinach)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 cups potatoes, diced (about 4 large)
- 2 cups red bell peppers, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 dashes hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse greens. Blanch them in 1/2 cup boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes, until wilted. Drain. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet. Saute the onions and garlic on medium heat for 10 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add the diced potatoes, spreading them evenly in the pan. Cover, and cook 5 minutes. Uncover and stir well. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes more, until potatoes are browned and tender.
- Now add the drained greens, bell peppers, thyme, and mushrooms, if using. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring often, until peppers are tender. Stir in the soy sauce and hot sauce to taste. Serve immediately. Enjoy!