Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A good brunch, lunch, or supper! Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant New Classic cookbook. New England, Australian, Mid West, West
- 4 -6 cups swiss chard, stemmed, sliced (or spinach)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 cups potatoes, diced (about 4 large)
- 2 cups red bell peppers, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 dashes hot sauce
- Rinse greens. Blanch them in 1/2 cup boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes, until wilted. Drain. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet. Saute the onions and garlic on medium heat for 10 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add the diced potatoes, spreading them evenly in the pan. Cover, and cook 5 minutes. Uncover and stir well. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes more, until potatoes are browned and tender.
- Now add the drained greens, bell peppers, thyme, and mushrooms, if using. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring often, until peppers are tender. Stir in the soy sauce and hot sauce to taste. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
This has become one of my favorite comfort-food dishes. The flavor combination is really great, and I love that everything goes in one skillet! It is also pretty flexible, which is one of my favorite characteristics in a recipe. I have used half sweet potatoes, different colors of peppers, made it with and without the mushrooms, and it worked out great each time. Thanks for posting, Sharon123!
This was so delicious! I made it without mushrooms since I didn't have any. My husband brought home a rotisserie chicken and it was the perfect side for that. I was a little skeptical of the soy sauce with the thyme but I put it in and it worked :) The only negative is that it took me awhile to make (must be slow at dicing) but it was worth it. Both my husband and I thought it would make a great side dish for Thanksgiving.
i have to agree with others. i made this the other night and i was told it tasted "like more". this is the rating i get when i am being told my partner wants seconds. the only thing i did different was to add a bag of quorn chicken tenders to give it some protein. i was short a cup or two of potatoes, so i added some frozen corn as well. will definately be making this again :)