Recipe by JackieMarie
This recipe is by Guy Fieri off the Food Network. It looks really tasty! Prep & cook time are for the lasagna, the tomato sauce will take about the same amount of time. The nice thing with this recipe is that you could switch out the homemade tomato sauce for your favorite and I'm sure it will be great. The pepperoni he used was the large round one, not the small ones like you see on pizzas. Don't let them get to crispy as they harden as they cool down.
- 2 lbs lasagna sheets
- 2 cups hand cut 1/8 inch slices pepperoni
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 lbs bulk Italian sausage, cooked
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
tomato sauce ingredients (use 4 cups)
- 3 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 5 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 cups skinned and dice roma tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano leaves
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Make sauce first - see below.
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- Boil 6 qts water, add pinch of slat and cook pasta to almost done. Remove from water and shock in ice bath.
- In medium sauce pan add pepperoni and saute over medcium heat until crispy. Remove from heat and drain on a paper towel.
- in a 10 X 14 X 3 baking pan or dish, pour 1 cup of tomato sauce in bottom and around side.
- Layer lasagna sheets on the bottom of the pan overlapping by 1/2 inch. Add 1/3 amt. of ricotta, 1/3 amt of mozzarella, 1/3 amt of sausage, then sprinkle generously with the Parmesan, add 1/2 cup tomato sauce and 1/4 cup of pepperoni. Repeat this 2 more times.
- On the very top sheet, top with remaining ricotta, tomato sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, and dust with Parmesan. Bake for approx 45 minutes. Remove from oven, let sit 15 minutes.
- TOMATO SAUCE - In sauce pan, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook over medium to low heat until transparent. Add garlic and cook until almost brown. Then add tomatoes and cook for 1/2 hour over low to medium heat. Add the basil and oregano and continue to cook for another 1/2 hour. Season to taste with salt & pepper.