Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
An adopted recipe.
Top Review by Thorsten
I have made these rolls the first time for the Photo Swap #3. I have liked the idea of rolling pepperoni slices into yeast dough from the beginning. The yeast dough here is sweetened and together with the salty flavor and pepperiness of the slices is a delicious combination. I have followed the recipe step by step without any problems. Baking time was in my case a little shorter (20 minutes). And yes, you should switch the cookie sheets as suggested. The rolls came out golden brown. The yeast dough was fluffily. If you are not fixed to the name you can also use bacon as an alternativ filling. Or try a vegetarian version. Or a sweet version with a thin layer of jam or peanut butter. How about a hot version with a spicy relish? The field is open to your imagination. With a cold glas of beer these pepperoni rolls can be the heaven on earth.
- 1⁄2 cup water, 110 degrees
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 4 beaten eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 10 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 beaten eggs (for basting)
- 3 lbs sandwich pepperoni slices (may use turkey pepperoni)
- sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in water and pinch of sugar and set aside.
- Beat 4 eggs and set aside.
- Heat milk and butter.
- Cool to lukewarm and add 4 cups of flour, sugar, and salt in mixing bowl with milk mixture.
- Mix well and add yeast and egg. Add rest of the flour, a cup or two at a time, mixing well after each addition. Knead until you have a soft manageable dough.
- Put in floured bowl, cover and let rise till double--approx. 1-1 1/2 hours.
- After rising, knead, divide into 5 equal parts.
- With one part, divide that one into 15 equal parts.
- Roll each out to 5x6 in size.
- Add 2-3 slices of pepperoni to each roll and roll up.
- Place rolls to greased cookie sheet (approx. 15 rolls per sheet).
- Cover and let rise again, about 1 hour.
- Baste with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until light brown.
- (It may be helpful to switch cookie sheets in oven after 15 min.).
- To freeze: Place baked rolls in a large freezer bag. Seal, label and freeze.
- To serve: Allow to thaw at room temperature and enjoy. For a crispier roll, reheat in a 300 degree oven for about 10 minutes.