Recipe by Color Guard Mom
I got this out of a 1988 local newspaper recipe booklet. They are quite yummy and travel well. The yeast is a standard packet of yeast. I guessed at the servings and the active and passive work times - it's been a couple years since I've made them.
Top Review by mollymuffin
Haven't tried yet. This is the recipe I am looking for with no cheese or sauce. My family loves them this way. I used to get them at an Italian bakery but now they have cheese and sauce. Will rate after trying.
- 1 1⁄4 ounces yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1⁄8 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 cup shortening
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 5 cups flour
- 1 lb pepperoni
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften yeast in the water.
- Separately, stir shortening, sugar and salt in milk.
- Add yeast mixture.
- Blend in flour.
- Knead on floured board until smooth.
- Place in greased bowl.
- Cover with damp towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
- Cut pepperoni into 2 inch strips, then quarters lengthwise.
- Afer dough is ready, wrap a piece of meat in enough dough to cover.
- Place on a large cookie sheet (greased) and let rise again until doubled.
- Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown.
- Brush with butter.