Recipe by *Parsley*
Kind of creamy, cheesey and saucy. Has a sort of "pizza-ish" flavor. You could use pretty much any tube pasta or even corkscrew pasta works well.
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 teaspoon cruched basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (16 ounce) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄8 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 -6 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, DIVIDED
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a casserole pan and set aside.
- Cook rigatoni pasta according to package directions to al dente.
- While pasta is boiling, heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, green peppers, garlic, mushrooms, basil and oregano; saute for about 7 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and sugar to the saucepan; stir well and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- When pasta is done, drain.
- Using the hot empty pot that the pasta just cooked in, mix together the ricotta, parmesan, sour cream, egg, parsley and salt; mix until smooth.
- Return the hot drained rigatoni to the ricotta/sour cream mixture. Gently fold/stir together.
- Place half of the creamy rigatoni mixture on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Evenly pour half of the tomato sauce mixture over top.
- Evenly place all of the pepperoni slices over top.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup only of the mozzarella cheese.
- Layer remaining rigatoni mixture on top, then remaining tomato sauce mixture, then the last 1 cup of mozzarella.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Best to let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.