If you're craving a pepperoni pizza and it's just too hot to turn on the oven, this dish is a satisfying warm weather substitute. (Prep. time does not reflect chill time).
- 10 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 medium green peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package pepperoni
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar or 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup seasoned croutons
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, green pepper, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, olives, and onion; mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato juice, vinegar, oil, garlic, basil and pepper; whisk together well.
- Pour the dressing over the tomato mixture; toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours.
- Sprinkle croutons just before serving.