Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This may be fully prepared the night before refrigerated and baked the next day.
- 2 1⁄2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup pizza sauce (or to taste)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) packagesliced pepperoni, halved
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Cook macaroni until soft-firm.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Drain macaroni.
- In a large bowl, combine pizza sauce, tomato sauce and milk.
- Stir in sausage mixture, macaroni, pepperoni, mushrooms and olives.
- Transfer to a greased baking dish.
- Cover, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover; sprinkle with cheese, bake 10-15 minutes longer, or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
This makes for a great pizza flavored casserole dish Kitten. Something that would be easy enough to assemble ahead and freeze or make/bake for giving to others. As you can see I didn't have mozzarella and used shredded cheddar. Also, omitted the mushrooms. This one is going into favorites...Thanks Kit...another winner!!! Tagged for 123HitWonders 08'
Good casserole Kittencal! My 3 year ate two helpings and hubby declared it a winner too. I used fresh mushrooms and sauteed them along with the sausage and onion and used spaghetti sauce instead of pizza sauce, since that's what I had on hand. It was very yummy and I'll be making it again!