Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cheap and easy. And the kids love this!!(So do the grown-ups)
- 1 (12 ounce) Italian bread, split in half horizontally
- 1 1⁄4 cups bottled pasta sauce
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 ounce pepperoni, finely chopped
- 1 cup coarsely shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place bread halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Pull out some of soft bread centers to make loaves slightly concave. Spread each half with 1/2 cup of pasta sauce. Arrange mushrooms over sauce; sprinkle with pepperoni. Top with mozzarella; sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper. Spoon remaining pasta sauce over tops.
- Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cut on angle into slices. Serve hot.
My toddler son and I made these for lunch. I cut the bread into slices and then added finely chopped onion. Thank you!
Super-yummy, quick and easy! I used a cheaper pasta sauce and added my own seasonings, to taste. When the bread was sliced into two, I personalized half of it for my boyfriend with pepperoni and real bacon bits and the other half plain cheese for me. I also made it without mushrooms, used a shredded bag of pizza cheese, and find this recipe to be extremely versatile to suit all tastes! Only thing I would do differently next time is to broil during the last bit of cooking time for extra crispness and browning. Thanks for the dinner idea!
Score! DH and DS declared that they could eat this every day. I think you could easily tailor this to accommodate anyone's tastes. After all, rules were meant to be broken, right?! Would be great to use up small amounts of fresh ingredients and even leftovers for a totally custom meal. For our first go'round, we followed the ingredients suggested, but left out the parmesan because, alas, we were out. Used Super Easy Tomato Sauce for Pizza and Pasta (#255242 ) for the sauce and it was bang on for taste! This is so quick and easy....think this would be a great hit at any table- lunch, dinner or party! Thanks!