Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This makes a fabulous brunch! Plan ahead since this needs to be refrigerated for a minimum of 3-8 hours. Although the recipe calls for a chopped tomato, I usually use about 2 cups chunky salsa that has been drained through a small strainer for about 25 minutes instead. I like it much better than with the tomato, so that is an optional change.
Top Review by kusinera
This was really loved by everyone for a weekend family brunch! I prepared it the night before and baked it in mid morning the next day, no changes, and not a scrap left! so good! thank you for suggesting this recipe Kitty!
- 1 large loaf Italian bread, cut into about 1/2-inch cubes (you might want to refrigerate before cutting, it makes slicing easier)
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen spinach, thawed and chopped (squeeze out any excess moisture with hands)
- 4 -5 ounces pepperoni, cut in half lengthwise and then thinly sliced crosswise (purchase the long thin packaged stick kind for this)
- 1 large tomatoes, seeds removed and diced (or use salsa, see heading above on recipe)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 4 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter an 11 x 7-inch or a 12 x 7-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl toss together the cubed bread, spinach, sliced pepperoni, chopped tomato (or salsa if using) mozzarella cheese and Italian seasoning; mix well to combine.
- Spread evenly in the casserole dish.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half cream, salt and pepper.
- Pour evenly over the bread mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 3-8 hours.
- When ready to bake, set oven to 400°F.
- Bake covered for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before serving.