Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
I came across this recipe in one of my cookbooks, Texas Blossoms. I have modified it a tad bit, but not too much. This is an excellent dish to bring to a pot luck, buffet or even for serving to "company". It doesn't have a lot of sauce so, in turn, you don't taste just the Alfredo sauce. The pepperoni gives it an outstanding flavor and since it has green peas you can "kid" yourself that it's a healthy dish...lol! Please don't let the long list of ingredients deter you from trying this recipe. If you like pasta and pepperoni you must try this dish.
- 8 ounces bow tie pasta
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 2 celery ribs, chopped fine
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 4 ounces frozen green peas
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 40 slices pepperoni, cut into quarters
- 1 (1 5/8 ounce) packageknorr alfredo sauce mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons milk, if needed or 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream, for thinning if needed
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large dutch oven heat olive oil & 2 tbsp butter over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, onion, celery, green pepper, yellow pepper, red bell pepper and garlic.
- Saute on medium heat about 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft and transparent and mushroom are cooked through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and cayenne pepper.
- Add white wine, worchestershire sauce and pepperoni and saute for approximately 15 minutes.
- Add peas and cook another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cook pasta just to al dente stage then drain and set aside.
- Prepare sauce mix with milk and butter according to package directions.
- Add basil, oregano and thyme, mixing well.
- Add mozzarella cheese to sauce mix and stir well until cheese is melted.
- Toss pasta in reserved vegetable mixture in dutch oven, being careful not to break up pasta.
- Add cream sauce to pasta mixture and stir until pasta is coated again being careful not to break up pasta.
- If more sauce is needed add 3 tbsp milk or heavy cream.
- Pour into 9x13 baking dish and top with grated parmesean cheese.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly around sides.