Recipe by Cookin-jo
There are plenty of good pizza roll recipes but none of the fillings suited my family's tastes so I came up with this one. If you prefer you can replace some of the meat with sauteed vegetables such as mushrooms and peppers.
Top Review by MommaEllen
We will be making these again! We tried some with sausage instead of bacon and we like both. We used a jar of meat flavored spaghetti sauce, but I think we will use plain next time because the flavor was a little too rich. I fried them in about 1/2 inch of veg. oil in a cast iron pan for about 3 min. on each side. Even my husband liked these! I made this for PAC '08. Thank you for making pizza night more interesting!
- 8 ounces bacon, sliced 1/4 inch
- 12 ounces pepperoni, mild, cut into 1/4 inch dice (buy a chunk at the deli and peel the skin)
- 1 cup pizza sauce (I use Freezer Pizza Sauce, purchased is fine)
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (bagged pre-shredded pizza cheese is good)
- 24 egg roll wraps
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon until just crisp and drain on paper towels. Crumble when cool.
- Wipe the bacon grease out of the pan with a paper towel and fry pepperoni in same pan. Drain on paper towels.
- Combine bacon, pepperoni, sauce and cheese.
- Working with 4 wrappers at a time place 2 heaping tablespoons of filling on each wrapper. Brush all 4 edges with water. Roll one corner over the filling, fold in the 2 sides and then roll up completely.
- Heat an inch of vegetable oil in a large deep skillet to 375 degrees. Fry 4 wrappers at a time. When both sides are golden remove to a baking sheet lined with newspaper and paper towel to cool.
- These may be eaten immediately or frozen. To reheat place in a single layer on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven until warmed through.