Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
There are plenty of good pizza roll recipes but none of the fillings suited my family's tastes so I came up with this one. If you prefer you can replace some of the meat with sauteed vegetables such as mushrooms and peppers.
- 8 ounces bacon, sliced 1/4 inch
- 12 ounces pepperoni, mild, cut into 1/4 inch dice (buy a chunk at the deli and peel the skin)
- 1 cup pizza sauce (I use Freezer Pizza Sauce, purchased is fine)
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (bagged pre-shredded pizza cheese is good)
- 24 egg roll wraps
- Fry bacon until just crisp and drain on paper towels. Crumble when cool.
- Wipe the bacon grease out of the pan with a paper towel and fry pepperoni in same pan. Drain on paper towels.
- Combine bacon, pepperoni, sauce and cheese.
- Working with 4 wrappers at a time place 2 heaping tablespoons of filling on each wrapper. Brush all 4 edges with water. Roll one corner over the filling, fold in the 2 sides and then roll up completely.
- Heat an inch of vegetable oil in a large deep skillet to 375 degrees. Fry 4 wrappers at a time. When both sides are golden remove to a baking sheet lined with newspaper and paper towel to cool.
- These may be eaten immediately or frozen. To reheat place in a single layer on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven until warmed through.
We will be making these again! We tried some with sausage instead of bacon and we like both. We used a jar of meat flavored spaghetti sauce, but I think we will use plain next time because the flavor was a little too rich. I fried them in about 1/2 inch of veg. oil in a cast iron pan for about 3 min. on each side. Even my husband liked these! I made this for PAC '08. Thank you for making pizza night more interesting!