Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Homemade pepperoni. You have to let it stand in the fridge overnight before baking.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Morton Tender Quick salt
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed, slightly crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon anise seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine all ingredients, mixing until thoroughly blended.
- Divide in half into slender rolls about 1 1/3 inch in diameter.
- Wrap in plastic or foil.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap and bake on broiler pan at 200 F for 4 hours.
- Store wrapped in the refrigerator.
I made this with ground venison and it was delicious. I didn't have any fennel seeds, so instead decided to add a little hot with crushed red peppers. I can't wait to make a pizza topped with this wonderful homemade meat. We also served it on crackers topped with a little cheese as an appetizer. Very good. Thanks for sharing Leta. This is in my cookbook.