Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is awesome and yummy! I got this recipe from a friend of ours and we can't stop making and eating it! It is so easy, and since you use a crock pot it is fast and simple!
- 4 lbs roast
- 1 (8 ounce) jar pepperoncini peppers
- 2 (3/4-1 ounce) packages au jus mix
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 -10 hoagie rolls
- Using a crock pot (on high setting), cook roast about 6-8 hrs, depending on the roast cut, in the peppers juice.
- Set the peppers aside for later.
- Once the meat is cooked it should be falling apart, you can either take it out to shred it and put it back in the pot, or do your best to separate the meat while it stays inside the crock pot.
- Add the peppers and sliced onion.
- Add Au Jus mix, I take some of the pepper juice out and mix the Au Jus so there are no lumps, and then add it back to the meat, you may want to add a little water, so the meat is covered.
- Cook on low for about another hour or so.
This is a great, easy recipe. Even my most difficult eater request for me to make this.
I am implored by my family to make this about once a month! I use a 12 oz jar of mild banana pepper rings, and mix the au jus mix with the pepper juice right up front, then cook the beef in it the whole time. An hour before serving, toss in the pepper rings. There is less heat with the pepper rings, and more of a vinegar-y bite. We love this as roast beef sandwiches in many forms including with spinach sauteed with garlic, roasted red peppers & provolone (my personal favorite). There are an inifinte number of variations -- I add italian seasoning, and stir in a small (6oz) can of tomato paste with the pepper juice & au jus mix -- a more tomato-y sauce, but equally delicious. I have shared this with friends that have small children, and even the kids love this -- it's not too much spice/tang for them.
I have not made this myself, but I've had this beef and it is DELISH. The heat sneaks up on you, but is not over powering.