Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
From TOH. Yummy appetizers! Pretty too. I serve mine with salsa and sour cream.
- 1 (32 ounce) jar pepperoncini peppers
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and cut into 24 pieces
- 24 pieces monterey jack cheese (about 1-1/2 inches x 1/4 inch x 1/8 inch) or 24 pieces monterey jack pepper cheese (about 1-1/2 inches x 1/4 inch x 1/8 inch)
- 24 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- Pam cooking spray, butter-flavored spray
- melted butter
- 48 fresh chives
- Remove 24 pepperoncinis from jar; remove and discard stems and seeds. Drain peppers on paper towels. Stuff each with a piece of chicken and a cheese strip (cheese may need to be cut to fit in some peppers).
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface (keep remaining dough covered with waxed paper to avoid drying out). Spritz dough with butter-flavored spray. Repeat three times; stack sprayed phyllo dough. Cut stacks into four pieces, about 6-1/2 inches x 4-1/4 inches each.
- Center one stuffed pepper on one long side of each phyllo stack; roll up and twist the ends to seal. Repeat with remaining peppers and dough. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Drizzle butter over center of firecrackers. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Tie ends with chives. Yield: 2 dozen.