I think I came up with these as a result of surfing the web and adding a few ideas together. These are really, really good. Be sure to use the parchment or wax paper or you will have a terrible mess on your hands. (Guess how I know this. ;) )
- Cream butter until light. Gradually add sugars, creaming well until blended. Beat in vanilla and egg.
- Stir together flour, salt and soda. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, blending well.
- Stir in chips and crushed candy canes.
- Drop by level tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto cookie sheets covered with parchment paper. Bake at 375 degrees for about 12 minutes until golden.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
I've been making this recipe for years. I can't believe I haven't reviewed it until now. These cookies are nice and chewy, and have a good peppermint flavor without being overwhelmingly minty. These are the one cookie I make every year for Christmas, and family ask where they are if it's close to Christmas and I haven't made them yet.
I had a ton of Hershey's peppermint kisses STILL leftover from the holidys, so I grated about 1/4 cup and then cut another 1/2 cup into chunks and added them in place of candy canes and white chocolate chips! Delicious! Very sweet- get the milk out!
These were great, although I did add slightly more brown sugar and substituted coconut oil for half the butter.