Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
Found this recipe in a Taste of Home Magazine and made for my Holiday Cookie Tray. They look cute with lots of color, fairly easy to make, and the taste of peppermint and chocolate - what more could you want!! If you decide to try this I hope you enjoy as much as I did. Preparation time does not include chilling time
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add the egg yolk and extracts; mix well.
- Combine flour and salt.
- Gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half; tint one portion red.
- Divide each into four portions.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Shape each portion into a 9-inch log.
- Place one red log next to one white log.
- twist gently to create one swirled roll.
- Roll gently until roll becomes one log.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cut each log into nine slices.
- Roll each into a ball.
- Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Flatten slightly with a glass.
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes until edges are lighthly browned.
- Press chocolate kisses into the center of warm cookies.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Yields about 3 dozen cookies.
What pretty cookies this recipe makes! The peppermint flavor is just right, the cookie part is very shortbread like. The kiss doesn't sink down into the cookie and trying to push them into the dough will just crack the cookie. Although they mostly stuck on the kisses seemed a little out of place. I wouldn't mind making just the bottom part - would be wonderful with a cup of hot cocoa!