Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This is a great recipe for the whole family. Really fun to do as an old-fashioned taffy pull.
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups light corn syrup
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon peppermint oil
- red food coloring
- Butter a 15 by 10, by 1 inch pan and set aside.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, vinegar and salt in a heavy saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat then slowly add milk.
- cook and stir until candy thermometer reads 248. Remove from heat and add the peppermint oil and food colouring.
- Pour into preparred pan and let stand 8 minutes or untill cool enough to handle.
- butter fingers well and quickly pull candy untill it is firm, but pliable. The clour should become a light pink.
- Pull into a 1/2 inch wide rope and cut into 1 inch pieces. Wrap pieces in waxed paper.