Recipe by Misti_Country_Girl
A Gold Medal Flour recipe. Great for holiday cookie trays.
Top Review by JenSmith
I didn't have the same trouble that the Coconutcream had, but I have to agree that the flavor is not what I was expecting. The cookies taste better after sitting for a couple of days, though, since the butter flavor comes out more. However, the mint extract does not complement the butter taste. I had made these for my holiday cookie tray, but they were not successful. I don't recommend this particular recipe.
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red food coloring or 1⁄8 teaspoon red food coloring paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350*.
- Beat butter, powdered sugar and vanilla in large mixing bowl. Stir in flour.
- Divide dough in half.
- Stir peppermint extract and food coloring into one half.
- Divide each color of dough in half.
- Shape each piece of dough on generously floured surface into rope, 12 inches long.
- PLace 2 ropes, 1 red and 1 white, side by side. Twist ropes. Repeat with remaining 2 pieces of dough.
- Cut twisted ropes into 1/2-inch pieces; shape into a ball.
- Place about 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Flatten to about 1/4-inch thickness with greased bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until set.
- Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack; cool.