Peppermint Stick Brownies
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- In a large saucepan combine the sugar, butter and cocoa powder. Cook over medium heat till butter melts, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Using a wooden spoon, LIGHTLY beat just till combined (DON'T OVERBEAT).
- Add the flour mixture and milk alternately to the chocolate mixture, beating after each addition. Stir in the chocolate pieces and nuts. Spread batter into a 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or till a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Fudge frosting: In a small heavy saucepan melt unsweetened chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in sifted powdered sugar and vanilla. Stir in enough hot water (2 to 4 tbsp) to make a soft spreading consistency.
- Sprinkle with crushed peppermint. Cut into bars.