Recipe by Lizzymommy
Lovely gems for the holidays
Top Review by Elaniemay
These are some of my favorite cookies! I do have a problem with the filling though. It tends to dissolve into the cookie. I save any left over filling and smear it on when I eat them. If anyone has a way around this let me know. My picture is with the extra filling. It had a hole in it where the filling "disappeared" and I filled that with leftover frosting.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 cup hard peppermint candy, finely crushed
- 1 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 drop red food coloring
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar, sifted and divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Have baking sheets ready.
- To make cookie: beat butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl with electric mixer until smooth. On low speed, gradually beat in flour. Chill 30 minutes or until firm.
- To make filling: mix candy and 1/4 cup of the powdered sugar. Mix cream cheese and milk until smooth. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons of candy mixture, and 1 drops food coloring.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Make deep hole in the center of each ball using fingertip or handle of a wooden spoon. Fill each hole with 1/4 teaspoon of the filling. (I find the easiest way to do this is with a pastry bag) Bake 12 to 14 minutes until set, but not brown (do not let filling bubble over top of cookies). Roll in remaining candy mixture while still hot. Cool on wire racks.