Recipe by MMinMI
My mom cut this recipe out of a Chicago Area newspaper about 30 years ago and they have been part of our Christmas cookies ever since. Great way to use all those broken candy canes!
Top Review by Ibjustine
Thank you so much for posting this recipe! My husband's grandmother gave me some of her cookie recipes and she had this exact recipe, but I wasn't sure about some of her notes and I wanted to double check so I looked online and here it is! She is also from the Chicago area so I bet she found this in the newspaper too!
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick oats or 1 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 cup crushed peppermint candy
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 drop red food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR COOKIES: Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in egg.
- Add combined dry ingredients, mix well.
- Stir in oats and peppermint candy.
- Shape dough o form 1 1/2-inch balls. Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet; flatten with times of fork.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool 1 minute before removing from cookie sheet.
- FOR GLAZE: Combine all ingredients; mix well. Drizzle over cooled cookies.