Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe came from a old cook book of mine, 1953, "Stove Pilot" It reads: This is my farvorite company dessert. It is best made the day before it is to be served. Those pink and white striped mint straws with the creamy centers provide the color, flavor and all the sweetness needed, you'll see.
- 1⁄4 lb peppermint stick candy
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons plain gelatin, soaked in
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 12 ladyfingers or 12 slices sponge cakes
- Crush the candy and place in a double boiler with the milk.
- Heat to dissolve the candy.
- Add soaked gelatine and stir until dissolved.
- Cool until it just begins to thicken.
- Fold in the whipped cream.
- Line 2 sides and bottom of a loaf pan with double thickness waxed paper, so that the paper extends up over the edges of the pan.
- Arrange 4 lady fingers or sponge cake in the bottom of the pan.
- Top with the peppermint cream mixture.
- Repeat the layers topping it with lady fingers or sponge cake.
- Chill until firm.
- When ready to serve, loosen ends with a spatula and by the edges of the paper, lift it out of the pan.