Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another wonderful recipe from Family Circle Nov 29, 2006
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces white chocolate, melted with
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped candy cane
- Stir together flour and salt in medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until smooth and creamy. Beat in egg. Beat in peppermint and vanilla extracts. On low speed, beat in flour mixture. Shape dough into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Heta oven to 375. Coat baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls for a total of 36 cookies; place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake at 375 for 10 to 12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely. When cool, brush with melted white chocolate; dip in chopped candy canes. Let harden on wax paper.
These were very unique cookies, if you can call them cookies. I wasn't sure quite what I was making, but it ended up being the shape of a bonbon, but the texture of a hard-ish cookie. The flavor was delightful, but they were a little more work than I'd like to put in :). It took me about 1/2 hour to get the candycanes crushed. A wonderful result, but it took effort! I WILL be making it again, though. Thanks! **Edit: I made these again, and they turned out fluffier and softer (the cookies). Also, I put the candycanes in a food processor, and they were crushed quickly. I would change my rating to FIVE STARS now.