Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
These cookies are great for Christmas!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1⁄4 cup finely crushed peppermint stick candy
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Mix butter, sugar, eggs and flavoring. Mix flour salt and blend in thoroughly. Divide dough in half. Blend food coloring into 1 half. Chill both halves until firm.
- On a lightly floured board, roll the plain half into a 12-inch square. Roll the red half the same size and lay on top of the plain dough. Roll the double-layered dough gently until about 1/4-inch thick. Roll up like a jelly roll and chill one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice cookies 1/4 inch thick. Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake 9 minutes or until lightly browned. While still warm, brush with egg-white glaze (1 egg white combined with 2 tablespoons water) and sprinkle with peppermint candy and sugar.