Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great dessert cookie or just because. They are terrific after a spicy cookout--wait till you try them.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
DARK CHOCOLATE COATING
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- To prepare the COOKIES:.
- Sift dry ingredients together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, with mixer on medium speed,cream butter, and sugar till blended and lightened in color, 2-3 minutes.
- Stop and scrape down sides and bottom of bowl as needed during mixing.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix till blended, about 1-2 minutes.
- On low speed, add flour mixture and mix just until incorporated and batter looks smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate the dough for about 20 minutes to firm it slightly.
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 325°F and line two sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Roll heaping tablespoons of dough between the palms of your hands until smooth 1 1/2-inch balls and place them 3 1/2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Using the palm of your hand, flatten the cookies to 2 1/2 - 3 inch rounds.
- Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time until the tops feel firm and look dull rather than shiny, about 15 minutes.
- Cool cookies on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to rack to cool completely.
- To prepare the CHOCOLATE COATING:.
- Put both chocolates and oil in top of double boiler over barely simmering water in bottom boiler. Stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove from the water and let the chocolate cool and thicken slightly before spreading, about 20 minutes.
- Spoon the chocolate coating over the top of half of the cookies. Use the back of a small spoon to spread the chocolate evenly and coat them completely. You will probably have a small amount of chocolate coating left over.
- Let the cookies sit at room temperature until the chocolate is firm--or to speed the firming, refrigerate for 20 minutes and then remove them from the refrigerator.
- To prepare the FILLING:.
- In large bowl, combine butter and powdered sugar and vanilla and peppermint extract until smoothly blended about 1 minute.
- The filling will be quite thick Turn plain cookies bottom side up and spoon rounded tbs of filling in center of each. Carefully place the bottom of a chocolate covered cookie on top and gently press together to spread the filling in an even layer. The filling will not reach the edges.
- Wrap each cookie in plastic wrap and store in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Serve cold -- the wrapped cookies can be stored in refrigerator up to 4 days.
- Try them frozen -- !