Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I wanted to thin out some of my cookbook collection so I decided to place some of my favorite recipes here. This is from the Amish Friends cookbook. This candy recipe contains a surprise ingredient . . . mashed potatoes. Note: This recipe won a first-place ribbon at the Malheur County Fair in Ontario, Oregon. It also won the grand prize in the candy division. Time to make does not include chill time.
- 118.29 ml warm mashed potatoes (mashed with milk only)
- 14.79 ml shortening
- 828.06 ml powdered sugar
- 0.45 ml peppermint extract
- dark sweet chocolate, melted
- Beat first 4 ingredients until smooth. Add additional powdered sugar if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Shape into patties and freeze. Coat patties with melted chocolate while frozen.
Pretty on point with the other comments - time consuming as hell, but really easy and fun too! These turned out great - I definitely recommend adding the shortening though. I dipped some with shortening and some without and the ones that were dipped in the shortening chocolate look a lot prettier and there's no difference in taste. The only thing I did find is that the chocolate sort of masked the minty flavour. Next time I would probably add a little more extract. And, as many other people also mentioned, this recipe makes SO MANY PATTIES!
Made these for Holiday Beverage Tag. A wonderful combination using the dark chocolate. One of my favorites. Of course you could use milk or semi-sweet chocolate too. Always a 5 star!!