Prep 2 mins
Cook 25 mins
Dont' waste your money on drinks from THAT store... do it yourself! Adapted from a recipe at The Kitch'n http://bit.ly/5sKAEH Nutrition information is inaccurate.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 tablespoons powdered cocoa mix
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1⁄2 cup hot espresso
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot milk or 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk
- whipped cream (optional)
- In a small saucepan, combine water and sugar. Bring to a boil. When sugar is dissolved, reduce to a simmer, add peppermint extract and simmer 20 minutes. (This makes enough for 6 drinks!).
- In a warmed mug, combine cocoa mix and water, stirring to form a paste. Add the espresso, 1/2 Tbsp of peppermint syrup and the milk. Stir until well combined. Top with whipped cream if desired.
Yum! I would like a little more mint in mine so I will make another batch of syrup with triple the mint. I think the ratio of espresso to milk is spot on. I made mine sugar free with stevia (instead of sugar) and sugar free hot cocoa (but note that you will use only 1 T of sugar free cocoa instead of 3T regular cocoa due to the decreased volume)! UPDATE: I made this again today with the leftover syrup. If you follow the instructions, you will end up with almost 2.5 cups of liquid which we find is enough for 2 people - so if you are making this for just 1 person, make sure you have a mighty big mug!!! (Most mugs only accommodate 8oz or 12oz).