4 hrs 20 mins
I clipped this recipe from the annual Washington Post Christmas Cookie Food section in 2011. This has become part of our Christmas cookie tradition.
My Private Note
small c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint oil extract
- 1/3 cup candy canes (or crushed) or 1/3 cup hard peppermint candy, finely chopped (or crushed)
- 1Preheat the oven to 175 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; do not use a silicone liner.
- 2Sift the confectioners' sugar twice to remove any lumps. Divide the sifted sugar in half.
- 3Beat the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer or hand-held mixer on medium speed until frothy, then increase the speed to medium-high and beat to form soft peaks. With the motor running, gradually add half of the sifted confectioners' sugar; beat to form firm peaks. Add the peppermint extract and beat just to combine. Remove bowl from the mixer.
- 4Sift the remaining sugar (yes, one more time) into the egg white mixture. Gently fold it in to form a batter that can hold its shape.
- 5The cookies can be dropped by spoonful onto the baking sheet. Or, transfer the batter to a pastry bag or resealable plastic food storage bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe kisses that are about 1 1/2 inches wide and 1 inch high onto the parchment paper-lined baking sheets, spacing them at least 1/2 inch apart.
- 6Sprinkle the finely chopped or crushed candies evenly over the meringue kisses.
- 7Bake for about 3 hours, until dry and crisp. Turn off the oven; let the kisses remain in the oven for 1 hour to dry thoroughly before serving or storing.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peppermint Meringue Kisses
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 13.9
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 0.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: