Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
Great for the holidays and low fat!
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 ounces peppermint candies, red and white
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse the sugar until finely ground and transfer to a bowl. Pulse the peppermint candies until finely chopped; transfer to a measuring cup. Return any large pieces to the processor and pulse a few more times. You should have a scant 1/2 cup crushed candy.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tarter on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Slowly add the sguar and continue beating until the whites for stiff glossy peaks. Fold in the crushed peppermints. Drop the mixture by teaspoonfuls about 1 inch apart on baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies for 25 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 250 degrees and bake for 25 minutes longer. Let cool completely on a wire rack.