Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Very good in a cup of Hot chocolate which with the weird weather i'm thinking about even in May. Not a quick and easy recipe but sooo much better than store bought marshmallows and not difficult at all.
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup crushed peppermint candy
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Into a small bowl, sift together the confectioners sugar and the cornstarch; line a 13X9 inch baking pan with non stick foil and spray foil with non stick cooking spray; sift 2 tablespoons of the sugar/cornstarch mixture into the pan, tilting to coat the pan; set the rest of the mixture aside for later.
- Place 2/3 cup water in a large bowl; sprinkle with gelatin; let soften for five minutes.
- In a medium heavy bottomed saucepan, heat sugar, corn syrup, candy pieces and salt over medium heat until sugar and candy pieces are dissolved, stirring occasionally; slowly mix into bowl with gelatin.
- Beat gelatin/sugar mixture on high speed with electric beater until light and fluffy, about 15 minutes; spread into prepared pan and smooth top; dust with 2 tablespoons of the reserved sugar/cornstarch mixture and let set at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Lift marshmallow block from pan using foil; with a wet knife, cut into six squares.
- Spread remaining sugar/cornstarch mixture onto a baking sheet; invert marshmallow blocks onto baking sheet and cut each square into 9 smaller squares.
- Toss marshmallows in sugar/cornstarch mixture ans set on a pan to set for an additional hour; store loosely covered at room temperature.
I have been making this recipe for years. I use peppermint candy canes. It takes 8 regular size candy canes. I bag them up and give them away as gifts. People just love them and request them too!! I have also made them using other flavor of candy canes. Just make sure you don't use candy canes with more than one color (red and green would make a brown marshmallow) they mute the colors. I make 3 batches at a time since I have 3 9x13 pans. It only takes 2 boxes of candy canes to make 3 batches!!! They are an easy and cheap gift to make. Thanks for a great recipe!!!
*love* this recipe - makes a bit of a mess, but is COMPLETELY worth it. thanks for sharing :)
So much fun for the holiday season! I cut out the marshmallows with holiday cookie cutters to make them more festive. Nothing like a cup of hot chocolate with a pink, fluffy, star shaped, peppermint marshmallow floating on top. EXCELLENT!!