6 hrs 30 mins
From Cooking Light
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cooking spray
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups low-fat peppermint ice cream, softened (such as Edy's or Dreyer's Slow-Churned Light)
- 3 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 8 peppermint candies, crushed
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Coat 2 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray. Line bottom of each pan with wax paper.
- 3Combine cocoa, water, and butter, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cool.
- 4Combine sugars in a large bowl, stirring well until blended. Add egg substitute; beat 2 minutes or until light and creamy. Add cocoa mixture, and beat for 1 minute.
- 5Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to bowl; beat for 1 minute or until blended. Stir in vanilla. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 28 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pans. Wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze for 2 hours or until slightly frozen.
- 6Spread ice cream in an 8-inch round cake pan lined with plastic wrap. Cover and freeze 4 hours or until firm.
- 7To assemble cake, place one cake layer, bottom side up, on a cake pedestal. Remove ice cream layer from freezer; remove plastic wrap. Place ice cream layer, bottom side up, on top of cake layer. Top with remaining cake layer.
- 8Combine whipped topping and peppermint extract, and stir until blended. Spread frosting over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with crushed peppermints. Freeze until ready to serve. Let cake stand at room temperature 10 minutes before slicing.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peppermint Ice Cream Cake
Serving Size: 1 (85 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 249.9
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 243.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 28.4 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-fat peppermint ice cream
frozen fat-free whipped topping