Take from a Cooking Light magazine. I'm waiting until the weather warms up to try this one!
Make and share this Peppermint Ice Cream Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups low-fat peppermint ice cream, softened
- 3 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 8 peppermint candies, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Coat 2 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
- Line bottom of each pan with waxed paper.
- Combine cocoa, ¾ cup boiling water, and butter, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cool.
- Combine brown sugar and granulated sugar in a large bowl, stirring well until blended.
- Add egg substitute; beat with a mixer 2 minutes or until light and creamy.
- Add the cocoa mixture, and beat 1 minute.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture; beat 1 minute or until blended. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Remove from pans.
- Wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze for 2 hours or until slightly frozen.
- Spread ice cream in an 8-inch round cake pan lined with plastic wrap.
- Cover and freeze 4 hours or until firm.
- To assemble cake, place one cake layer, bottom side up, on a cake pedestal.
- Remove ice cream layer from freezer; remove plastic wrap.
- Place ice cream layer, bottom side up, on top of cake layer.
- Top with remaining cake layer.
- Combine whipped topping and peppermint extract, and stir until blended.
- Spread frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle with crushed peppermints.
- Freeze until ready to serve.
- Let cake stand at room temperature 10 minutes before slicing.