Generally my response to non-chocolate candy is "what's the point?" This, however, has become my favorite Christmas candy! My daughter found it in one of those Pillsbury/Betty Crocker booklets they tempt you with at the checkout stands. Prep time does not include cooling time.
- Line 9-inch square pan with foil so that foil extends over sides of pan.
- Butter the foil.
- In large saucepan, combine sugar, margarine, and milk.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Continue boiling 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add marshmallow creme, vanilla chips, and desired amount of food coloring.
- Blend until smooth.
- Stir in crushed peppermint.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Score fudge into 36 or 48 squares.
- Sprinkle top with additional crushed peppermint candy.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Remove fudge from pan by lifting foil.
- Remove foil from fudge.
- Cut through scored lines.
- Store in refrigerator.